Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Audi Delivers First TT RS 360HP to U.S. Customer


The very first example of Audi's highly anticipated TT RS sports coupe to be sold in the USA has been delivered to veteran race car driver Don Istook, who was one of more than 11,500 fans to sign the German firm's TT RS petition drive on Facebook.

The Fort Worth native is an old acquaintance of Audi as Istook was one of the first drivers to race the original Quattro coupe in the U.S. in 1985, while he also raced S4 models in the Motorola Cup, which became the Grand-Am Cup. More recently, he has raced TT quattro coupes.

Upon receiving the keys to car, Istook stated:

"Having raced at almost every major track in the U.S. and Canada, I've pushed the limits in many cars in my 34 years as a race car driver. I like my street car to give me some of that thrill. With my new Audi TT RS, I not only get that thrill, but I also get that 'race car' sound.”

“Superb brakes and handling go right along with the magnificent power from the 2.5-liter turbo, especially the low end torque,” Istook continued. “It reminds me of the mid 80's when we raced the original 5 cylinder turbo Audi Quattro. What is great, though, is that I get all of that, yet I have the refinement, sophistication and technology of a truly modern sports car."

However, the first U.S. owner of the 360HP TT RS won't de driving the car just yet: “Interest in the return of the RS marquee has been so strong that Mr. Istook is allowing us to keep his TT RS at the dealership longer to show Audi fans and customers,” said Bobby Baillargeon, owner of Forth Worth Audi.

Powered by Audi's 2.5-liter turbocharged inline-five, the 2012 TT RS can accelerate from 0 to 60 mph (96km/h) in 4.1 seconds and on to a top speed of 174mph (280km/h). U.S. prices, including an $875 destination charge, start from $57,725.


PHOTO GALLERY